You will encounter the Dantien in many qigong practices. This meditation gives you an opportunity to become familiar with it and build up energy in this area. Refer to the notes section below for the location of your Dantien.
- Get into a comfortable position for your meditation
- Begin your session with a few minutes of breathing in an 8:4:8:4 rhythm (refer to week one instructions if necessary)
- You can briefly go through the Body Awareness and Relaxation meditation and Internal Organ meditation at this point if you wish, or move directly on to the next step.
- Bring your awareness to your Lower Dantien and imagine your body’s energy gathering in this area. Imagine it as a warm glowing liquid pool of energy, alive and active. As you do this you may feel sensations of warmth, magnetism, electricity, buzzing or tingling in this area.
- Each time you inhale, imagine you are drawing fresh energy into your dantien from all directions, then as you exhale, imagine this centre glowing brighter with comfortable living energy.
- Imagine this energy in your Dantien spreading to fill your entire body. Relax and enjoy the warm comfortable sensation of energy throughout your body
- Return your focus to breathing in the 8:4:8:4 rhythm for a few breaths before you finish your meditation session
Your Dantien is located below your belly button in the centre of your body.
It is the centre of all the activity of your entire body and energy naturally gathers here. You will find your dantien referred to in many of the Long White Cloud Qigong courses, and you will learn much more about it as you progress through some of these courses. For now it is sufficient to understand that this is your body’s store of vital energy. It is important that we have plenty of energy here and that the energy is comfortable and balanced. This acts as our energetic base for our other qigong practices.